Saturday, January 20, 2007

Sand sand everywhere

We went sand surfing a couple of days ago in Huacachina, an oasis just outside the City of Ica. I think I had a heart attack walking up the dune, not only that but it was very windy and I brushed my teeth with sand and gave my eyes a nice sand blasting. By the time we got the top I was almost too tired to appreciate where I was...so I layed back, let the heart attack take its course then stopped and took it all in.

Sandsurfing itself is tough, and when you fall its not nearly as nice as falling on snow or water...as you can generally eat both substances with relative ease. Sand is not ingested nearly as comfortably. Nor does it simply roll off your body, but rather finds each nook and cranny that you would generally prefer sand not to be and lodge itself there for days on end.

I think I am now sand free, but I cannot garauntee anything.

Were now in Arequipa after a solid 14 hour bus ride. We paid for the upper end ¨royal class¨ seats, and did enjoy them for the first 2 hours. Until the bus broke down in the middle of the desert, only to get it started again (possibly by some hard hitting judging by the sounds). We had a small visit to Nazca to switch buses which was also royal class but circa 1988. We cruised through the night comfortably (with not a wink of sleep) and watched the sun rise driving on the edge of a rather large cliff dropping into the ocean with a full one foot between the road and the ledge and no barrier. It was comforting.
I feel as though buses do not agree with deserts as as soon as we started driving inland (and up the Andes) this bus broke down as well. For the last 4 hours of the trip we cruised at a steady 10km/h and saw 2 other buses on the sides of the road (side means off a small cliff).

Tomorrow we get to do it again, except through the tropical mountains of the Andes to Cusco. Im looking forward to it, though Arequipa is a beautiful city it hasnt been agreeing with us - and Cusco sounds like the place to be.

1 comment:

Mr. Chomistek said...

Umm, I think Edmonton is the place to be, not Cuzco. Sounds like you are having a blast, and I wish I was there. Blog is short for weblog. Now you know.